Applying to Men’s Home
Recovery from addiction starts by filling out our application. This application is for admission to the Denton Freedom House’s Men’s Program. Please answer completely and honestly when answering the quesitons. Your answers will be kept confidential. If in the course of our interview or during the program, you have lied or omitted any pertinent information, it will be grounds for dismissal. If a section is required and does not apply to you, simply answer with N/A.
After submitting your application, call 972.795.2378 to let us know that your application has been submitted and to get the process started. Your application will be evaluated through a phone interview AND in-person interview. A decision is determined on your eligibility and specific needs. If we are unable to provide you help, we will do our best to point you to those who can help.
- You will end up sharing your bedroom with up to four other men at any given time – this can be uncomfortable at times.
- While you are in the program you are not to be in relationship with anyone (this means girlfriends or fiancés). We encourage restoration of marriage if you are currently married.
- For the first thirty days of the program, there’s no contact allowed with anyone outside the home. This includes family, friends and mentors – no contact means no visits, calls or writing letters. Writing letters will be encouraged with immediate family members and approved mentors, after this cooling off period.
- When you are allowed to have visitors, to write letters and make phone calls – you are only able to call your immediate family or approved mentors – No girlfriends, fiancés, friends or non-family members.
- Any of the things that interfere with our home schedule must be taken care of before you can come into the home.
- This is not a medical facility. If you have any ongoing physical or psychological needs, major or minor, they need to be addressed before you can come into the home. There are NO PSYCHIATRIC MEDICATIONS allowed. This includes any medication for depression, anxiety, opiates, narcotics or methadone.
- You will not be allowed to bring or have vitamins, supplements or large physical health aids/devices.
- The routine here is taxing! It is at times tiring and monotonous, it takes discipline to adhere to the schedule that we set.
- The home discipline policy is thorough and exacting. How well do you receive discipline? We expect full submission to Denton Freedom House policies.
- Can you handle being told when you can go to the bathroom, to bed, when you can shower, when you can have free time, and so forth?
- Please take a look at the items you are allowed to bring into the home – Remember that space is limited so we have to limit the amount of personal items you may bring into the home. If it isn’t on the list, you will not be allowed to bring the item in per our policies. Please read the Approved Items list.
Information for a resident’s family, go here
Approved Items List
Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Shampoo/Conditioner, Brush/Comb, Deodorant, Bar Soap, Shaving Cream, Razors, Dental Floss, Lotion, Q-Tips or fingernail clippers. (no mouthwash of any kind).
No food, candy or gum is allowed on the Phase I Resident’s person. We do not hold food for the Phase I Residents.
Clothing should not be brought to the resident if the resident has reached the maximum limit of clothing allowed, which is:
10 pairs of Socks
10 pairs of Underwear
11 pairs total of Pants/Shorts (everyday, work, dress, athletic, sweats)
***Basketball shorts and sweats can only be worn during free time or in rooms. Bring pants that can be used for work (landscaping, construction, etc…)
15 Shirts, Total (everyday, work, dress, undershirt, athletic, hoodies)
***Bring shirts to wear for work, as well as 1 or 2 nice shirts for church events.
***Hats are only allowed to be worn outdoors. A work hat that provides protection from the sun is recommended.
2 Belts (everyday, dress)
4 Shoes (1 dress, 2 casual/athletic, 1 work/boots)
***Work boots are highly recommended
Clothing with inappropriate advertisements (including but not limited to Skulls, Bands, Alcohol, Drugs).
Pens / pencils/ highlighters
Backpack (schoolbook size)
Wristwatch or pocket watch (Smartwatches Not Allowed)
Foot powder, sunscreen, or creams may be brought and approved at the discretion of the staff. ANY over the counter medication is a donation to the whole house- you may donate large bottles of Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cold medication, cough drops, etc. It may not be alcohol based and it is at the discretion of the staff whether it will be kept or not. All prescription medication must be approved by the staff and left at the OOD Desk. Stamps and envelopes are treated as donations to the whole house as well.
BRING ALL THESE ITEMS IN TRASH BAGS, WE CANNOT STORE DUFFEL BAGS OR TRAVEL BAGS
You will not need any linens or towels, but you may bring your own pillow (no pillows larger than standard size).
No Jewelry is allowed except for a wedding band.
No anti-depression, narcotics, muscle relaxers, sleep aid medications are allowed. If you have a question about your medication, ask the Admissions Director during your interviews.
No blankets will be allowed.